Maxon Pugovsky is a Ukrainian expat living in Saigon, also a Mobile Games Producer at Gameloft.
The world of mobile games is ever changing, with a constant stream of new releases flooding the various app stores.
In such a world of plenty, many notable releases can slip under the radar, hence this regular list, highlighting the most interesting releases over the past month.
It's broken down in various thematic sections, making it easier to see what's going on.
Curated by Maxon Pugovsky, this is an edited version of his regular roundups on Medium.
You can also check out the list for previous months here.
NOTABLE NEW RELEASES
- Forza Street (Turn 10 Studios/Microsoft)
Iconic racing franchise comes to mobile.
- KartRider Rush+ (Nexon)
Kart racing in Mario Kart style.
- EverMerge (Big Fish Games)
Merging of fantasy objects and narrative with characters from classic fairy tales.
- Exos Heroes (Oozoo/LINE Games)
Hero collecting RPG with 3D graphics and anime style art-direction.
- Draw a Stikman: EPIC 3 (Hitcents)
New drawing adventure game in a popular series.
- Word Show (Etermax)
Word game from Argentinian developers of hit Trivia Crack.
- Rumble Hockey (Frogmind)
Slingshot hockey game from the studio owned by Supercell.
- Match Town Makeover (G5 Entertainment)
Match-3 with building/restoration meta.
- SpongeBob: Krusty Cook-Off (Nukebox Studios/TiltingPoint)
Cooking time manager in Diner Dash style with Nickelodeon franchise.
Official Olympic mobile game is here in spite of the Olympics cancellation. Collection of mini-games with Sonic and friends.
- The Goldbergs: Back to the 80s (Eastside Games)
An idle game where you build your popularity by managing the social life of a teenager in the 80s.
- MasterChef: Dream Plate (Animoca Brands)
Place food on a plate in a fancy way, like in a TV show.
- Beast Quest Tower Defence (Animoca Brands)
Tower defence with license of children fantasy novels Beast Quest.
- Jeopardy! Words (Uken Games/Sony Pictures Television)
Word game based on a TV show.
- Shave the Day (Schick Xtreme)
Hypercasual runner from the shaving brand. If you are actively playing the game, the brand is donating money to St. Baldrick’s Foundation for childhood cancer research.
- Sandship: Crafting Factory (Rockbite Games)
Build and chain Factorio-styled conveyors to produce different stuff in a post-apocalyptic world.
- Griddie Islands (Pomelo Games)
Merging puzzler with cute characters.
- Vikings II (Pinpin Team/Plug in Digital)
Shoot’em up with nordic themed archers.
- Kiki’s Vacation (Hyperbeard)
Adventures of cat Kiki on a tropical island.
- Invisigun Reloaded (Sombr Studio)
Multiplayer 2D-shooter, where everyone is invisible. You see enemies’ traces when they move and shoot. Crossplay with consoles and was originally released on Steam in February 2017.
- If Found… (Dreamfeel/Annapurna Interactive, $4.99)
Visual novel about searching for connection.
- Deathtrap Dungeon: The Interactive Video Adventure (Branching Narrative, $4.99)
Full Motion Video RPG game about escape from a dungeon, although on video you will see only the narrator. Interactive video realisation of the gamebook by Ian Livingstone, co-founder of Games Workshop.
- Space Pioneer: Full Gear (Vivid Game, $3.99)
Premium version of F2P sci-fi third-person shooter.
- BE-A Walker (Tequilabyte Studio/Games Operators, $4.99)
Side-scrolling shooter. You’re a giant walking robot, destroy all humans.
- Juicy Realm (SpaceCan/XD Network, $2.99)
Rogue-like twin-stick shooter where you fight against mischievous fruits.
- Through the Darkest of Times (Handy Games, $6.99)
Historical strategy about managing resistance cell in Nazi Germany in 1930s.
- Atom RPG (AtomTeam, $7.99)
Post-apocalyptic RPG inspired by old-school Fallout 1 & 2. Funded on Kickstarter and available on Steam since December 2018.
- Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc Anniversary Edition (Spike Chunsoft, $15.99)
Remake of Japanese visual novel released on consoles 10 years ago.
APPLE ARCADE RELEASES
- The_Otherside (The Label)
Digital board game, where characters fight against Otherside monsters. Inspired by Stranger Things.
- Neversong (Serenity Forge)
Platformer, where character investigates a strange world after waking up from a coma.
- Winding Worlds (KO_OP)
Puzzle adventure from creators of indie hit GNOG.
- Towers of Everland (Cobra Mobile)
First person dungeon crawler.
- SpongeBob: Patty Pursuit (Nickelodeon)
Side scrolling endless runner with SpongeBob and his friends.
- Doctor Who game (Kaigan Games/Maze Theory)
Malasian indie studio Kaigan Games, which behind Simulacra detective dig-into-the-victim’s-phone games, will develop a similar horror game for the Doctor Who franchise.
- Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Remastered Edition (Square Enix)
Remake of jRPG released on Nintendo GameCube in 2003.